Safety Services & Assessments
In addition to being unsightly overall, sidewalk cracks and height variations are an injury hazard to pedestrians and a potential
legal liability to you, the property owner or municipality.
MANDATORY TRIP HAZARD REPAIR
• The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines a ‘trip hazard’ as any vertical change of over ¼ inch.
• ADA requires trip hazards to be removed or repaired with a maximum slope of 1:8 to 1:12.
• Since the ADA demands strict compliance, trip hazards represent a legal liability.
• The DOJ is mandated to enforce the ADA on a complaint basis.
• Any fall incident may lead to a lawsuit against the municipality or the sidewalk owner.
• Most state laws are very protective of the public. The majority of cases settle for amounts over $10,000.
• The example below shows as an example the number and amount of liability lawsuits that the city of Berkeley, CA settled between 2010 and 2013.Notice the exponential increase in liability settlement amounts in just 3 years. The city consequently implemented a sidewalk repair program in 2013.
Call us today to schedule a sidewalk inspection to identify
& eliminate costly trip hazards!
SSA’s solution is the most cost-effective, efficient, & environmentally clean solution.
There are basically 3 viable solutions to repairing your trip hazards: Remove & Replace, Repair by Grinding, or Repair with SSA's proprietary process.
SSA's Value Proposition:
Replacing a panel of sidewalk costs ~$400.
For the same $400, on average, you can remove 4 trip hazards via cutting.
For the same amount of spend, a municipality can get 4x the bang for the buck on their sidewalk
replacement program if they shift a portion of their spend to cutting, rather than removal and replacement.
810 Hillgrove Av. #5
Western Springs, IL 60558